Acupuncture is a time tested natural health care form that has been around for 5,000 years. Acupuncture has been known to treat a variety of conditions and is concerned with restoring proper energy flow to the various organs, glands and tissues of the body. Balancing one’s energy allows the body to become stable and at harmony. In acupuncture, balancing the flow of energy in one’s body is done by stimulating certain points on the body.
Some frequently asked questions about acupuncture are: Where does the interruption of energy occur? How is an energy flow disturbance detected in a patient? How is acupuncture treatment performed? What are some conditions treated by acupuncture? Are there other causes of disease besides those associated with disturbance of energy flow?
- The interruption of energy flow occurs in both channels of energy located throughout the body, just beneath the skin surface, and in the spinal column where vertebrae may become misaligned causing compression to vital nerve trunks.
- Energy flow disturbance can be detected by many methods including certain signs, symptoms, pain spots, organ reflex points, pulse, and instrumental findings.
- Acupuncture treatment is performed by first finding the skin points that need to be stimulated and then stimulating those points with either short needles, non-piercing needles (teishin), finger tip pressure, electrical stimulation, metallic balls taped to the points, or moxabustion (burning herbs). In our office we most commonly use a teishin and electrical stimulation.
- Most textbooks list over two hundred diseases that can be treated by acupuncture. Typical ailments usually responding to acupuncture health care includes: neuralgia, headaches, spasms, muscular issues, tennis elbow, shoulder and arm neuralgia, osteoarthritis, rheumatism, stomach problems, ulcers, diarrhea, asthma, shortness of breath, coughs, abnormal blood pressure, hemorrhoids, lumbago, bladder irritation, bed wetting, certain kidney problems, female disorders, impotence, loss of smell, tonsillitis, loss of hearing, and skin conditions.
- Yes, there are other causes of disease. The disturbance of energy flow in one’s body is one possibility of a disease producing state. Others are hereditary factors, poisons, psychosomatic states, adverse environmental conditions, injury, germs, malnutrition, etc…, are all disease producing.
It is important to be mindful of the fact that acupuncture is not like one drug used for one condition. Like chiropractic care, acupuncture it is a complete healing art within itself.